You will often hear rugby players and fans say that rugby is the best sport in the world. Players and fans the world over love rugby , defend, talk about, watch, practice, play, sing songs about, make lifelong friends from rugby, and on and on.
- Camaraderie – players help each other back on their feet after huge hits then share a pint with them after the game. Teammates become friends for life.
- Respect for other players and the referee
- Physicality of the game without padding or body armour
- It’s all inclusive – there’s a place on the pitch for everyone and all body types
- Passion for the game by players, fans, and ex-players.
- The Haka – a traditional ancestral war cry from the Māori people of New Zealand. The New Zealand All Blacks perform a haka before their matches.
- Unforgettable moments such as the greatest rugby union try ever scored (according to some…): The Greatest Try Ever Scored Video of The Greatest Try Ever Scored
If you are a beginner and want to know more about the game, are wondering what rugby is all about after watching a big game on TV or going to your first practice, the information below will help learn rugby basics and the long traditions of Rugby Union.